[ntp:hackers] Simplifying NTPD

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jun 30 14:32:03 UTC 2014

Danny Mayer <mayer at pdmconsulting.net> writes:

> TCP and unix domain sockets are out of the question. TCP requires a lot
> of overhead and handshakes and unix domain sockets don't exist on
> Windows making porting much harder. Just use standard UDP sockets and
> the data can then be handled the same way as from remote servers.
> Otherwise they will need special handling.

This is a local RPC, not an NTP measurement.  TCP on localhost is really
not that complicated, and then one can avoid thinking about
retransmission.  I have never seen problems with localhost TCP except on
buggy Mac OS X 10.9 which seems to scribble onto PCBs after being up for
a few weeks.  UDP reports may well be adequate if we decide reliability
isn't needed.  I guess this can be argued in the protocol design :-)