[ntp:hackers] refclock servers and the stratum option

todd tglassey at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 21 15:11:55 UTC 2015

How about adding a policy filter in front of the selection code i.e. add
a simple Policy Filter constraint to the selection and setup code in the
NTP client daemon itslef, and a answer-back message from the server.
This should take simple modifications (additions) in three areas of the
code I think today.  The new modules provide

1)     A method to select source based on 'best list of approved sources
- i.e. certifiable ones' - the issue is whether this is done
contractually between the relying party or as part of the NTP protocol?
- that has to be determined. Now it would be contractually done. I think
it would be better to use some in-protocol certification selector
process in the NTP solicitation and response process.

2)    Within all of the Certified Sources select the best based on a
"prioritized choicing" practice. The choice of which server then is done
with the existing NTP Best-of-Available Time Servers method.

Todd

--
Thanks,
Todd S. Glassey