[ntp:hackers] Man pages in 4.2.8p4

Albert Chin ntp-hackers at mlists.thewrittenword.com
Mon Nov 2 13:54:59 UTC 2015

I've built 4.2.8p4 on AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris. When built with
--with-locfile=legacy, the man pages do not display correctly.

On Solaris 8+, ntpd/ntpd.1 looks like:
 Force IPv4 DNS name resolution.  This option must not  appear  in
 combination with any of the following options:  ipv6.

 Force DNS resolution of following host names on the command  line
 to the IPv4 namespace.
 Force IPv6 DNS name resolution.
 This
 option
 must
 not
 appear
 in
 com-
 bi-
 na-
 tion

On HP-UX, ntpd/ntpd.1 looks like:
 Force IPv4 DNS name resolution.  This option must not appear in combination
 with any of the following options: ipv6.

 Force DNS resolution of following host names on the  command  line to  the
 IPv4 namespace.
 Force IPv6 DNS name resolution.
 This option must not appear  in  combination  with  any  of  the following

On AIX, ntpd/ntpd.1 looks like:
 Force IPv4 DNS name resolution.  This option must not  appear  in
 combination with any of the following options:  ipv6.

 Force DNS resolution of following host names on the command  line
 to the IPv4 namespace.
 Force IPv6 DNS name resolution.
 This option must not  appear  in  combination  with  any  of  the
 following options:  ipv4.

If I remove the following from ntpd/ntpd.1, the output looks better:
 .de1 NOP
 .  it 1 an-trap
 .  if \\n[.$] \,\\$*\/
 ..
(example)
 NAME
      -Font]ntpd - NTP daemon program

 SYNOPSIS
      -Font]ntpd [-Font]-flags]] [-Font]-flag] [-Font]value]]]  [-
      Font]--option-name][[=|   ]-Font]value]]]  [  <server1>  ...
      <serverN> ]

As you can see, [B-Font] isn't interpreted correctly. Is the .if some
GNU-specific extension?

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)