[ntp:hackers] Patches for stricter compiler settings?

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Sun Nov 29 16:00:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm a NetBSD developer.  NetBSD has in their source tree maintained
patches to ntp to allow it to be built with stricter warning flags
(when building with gcc) than the default.

While I'm not the one who imports new versions of ntp into NetBSD, I
would like to help both ends by trying to get most if not all of the
changes adopted upstream, i.e. here, so that integration of future
versions become easier.

However, if you don't also adopt the use of some or all of these
additional warning flags, I can more or less guarantee that problems
in this area will continue to pop up, so I'm arguing that you should
also adopt some or preferably all of the additional warning flags
we're building with.

At least ignoring some these warning flags can be the source of
security problems, while others of them are perhaps more related to
strict adherence to standards.

The warning flags we're building ntp with are (as far as I can see):

-Wall
-Werror
-Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith
-Wno-traditional
-Wreturn-type
-Wswitch
-Wshadow
-Wcast-qual
-Wwrite-strings
-Wextra
-Wno-unused-parameter
-Wsign-compare
-Wformat=2
-Wno-format-zero-length
-Wno-missing-noreturn

Now, I'm wondering what the best way is to feed back these
changes, and whether they have a chance of being adopted?

Best regards,

- Håvard