[ntp:hackers] NTP cores in authistrustedip.

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Thu Apr 21 13:47:23 UTC 2016

Hal Murray wrote:
> brian.utterback at oracle.com said:
>> It may be possible that I have get up autokey incorrectly. I am trying to
>> test IFF, but I really need to test all of them. The instructions on how to
>> do it are simply abysmal on the web site and are out of date and I think
>> they might have been incomplete to begin with. Does anyone have cheatsheet
>> on setting up autokey?
>
> I thought the general plan was to deprecate autokey.  Is anybody currently
> using it?

A side-effect of autokey is that it transfers the current TAI offset to
the clients, and I know some folks who explicitly use autokey for this
purpose.

Harlan, I know this could also be achieved by using a leap second file,
and that there's a script somewhere which tries to download an upgrade
the leap second file automatically. ;-)

However, using autokey for this is much more elegant, IMO. Once you have
configured your server and clients properly you don't have to care if
there's a cron job which runs some script periodically, if the download
site is reachable via http or ftp, etc.