[time] Re: server quality monitoring

Mark Lijftogt mark
Wed Nov 5 17:11:06 UTC 2003

Agreed.. but then again.. help the people out when their having troubles
starting.

I think there are a lot of people that run an ntp server, but don't take the
time to read up on what it does, how it does it, and what you can do to
preform this alleged form of "black magic".
The information given on www.pool.ntp.org is enough to get you started, and
run a fairly good setup for an ntp server, but without understanding a bit
more, it might be a bit frustrating to see yourself on the list.. and not
knowing how to get yourself of of it.

It might be helpfull to setup a list of instructions that are usefull, and
don't get overshadowed by all the other options that there are, and could
help the people that start with ntp.

well.. it's pool.ntp.org motto.. "ntp servers for EVERYone" (to bad it
reminds me of a commercial by tiscali in the Netherlands to make it realy
sound funny :))

Mark

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:30:34AM -0600, wayne wrote:

> In <200311032226.07174 at fortytwo.ch> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder at fortytwo.ch> writes:
> >
> > Timeserver Quality Assessment
> > that are *not* carried in the pool.ntp.org zone files.
>
> It might be useful to also list servers that have recently been
> excluded, so that their owners can see how well they have recovered.
> A system that is just barely over the minimum score probably has
> problems, especially if they were recently below that score.
>

> -wayne

-- Mark Lijftogt