[time] good news and bad news

wayne wayne
Wed Nov 5 18:53:33 UTC 2003

Well, I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that there appears to be a stead increase in the
number of people using pool.ntp.org.  (I currently have around 65
connections that have polled within the last 1024 seconds.)

The bad news is that there appears to be quite few sysadmins that are
using pool.ntp.org instead of properly configuring a local ntp server
and the pool is experiencing the same kind of "abuse" that all public
ntp servers experience.  Yes, I know, this is very shocking news that
none of us expected. </sarcasm>

The following command gives a quick check of the class C subnets that
have made many connections to my ntp server:

$ ntpdc -nc monlist | tail +3 | while read ip junk; do echo $ip | sed "s/.[0-9][0-9]*$//"; done | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head
     11 63.211.151
     11 194.93.174
      7 206.222.212
      6 212.67.172
      4 194.93.175
      4 148.71.242
      3 217.80.176
      3 203.130.2
      3 200.41.33
      3 148.71.243

The 206.222.212.xxx subnet is my subnet, so that's ok.  The
63.211.151.xxx and 194.93.174.xxx subnets, on the other hand, could
really use a local ntp server.  They would get better performance,
cause less network traffic and less load on the pool ntp servers if
they did.

So, should we (collectively) do anything about this kind of thing, or
just resign ourselves that this is inevitable and not worth the
bother?

-wayne