[time] Monitoring system

Guillermo Ballester Valor gbv
Wed Nov 12 19:17:38 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm the timekeeper of currently the worst server in the pool 217.127.2.161 (as
today at 6 UTC). :(

I've been trying to find the reason of such poor performance reported by the
monitoring system. I changed the server, the router, and I couldn't find the
reason. As you can see, it is declared unreachable most of the time.

On the other hand, I've been monitoring the traffic of NTP clients too. I use
cron to analize ntp every minute. The script analizes the output of 'ntpdc
-nc monlist' to select only non local clients activity and to detect
suspicius gaps in the last reported activity queue. I can't see any gap.
Clients are reaching the server continuosly. Just now it has about 60 clients
with activity under 1024 secs. The logs of the script never detects gaps over
30 secs in the range 0-128 secs. So, I can't explain why my server is lastly
declared as unreachable.

As a aditional test, I usually check with 'ntpq -pn' a sever here in Spain
sincronized with mine, and NEVER mine has declared as unreacheble, and reach
is always '377'. (well, NEVER is not true, the server was really unreachable
when I was changing hardware to fix the problem).

Any idea of what is the problem?.

Guillermo

--
Guillermo Ballester Valor