[time] Re: Daily pool.ntp.org status report

Peter Hessler phessler
Wed Sep 1 19:48:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:42:40 -0400
"Tim  Shoppa" <tshoppa at wmata.com> wrote:

:> 208.201.244.165 0.0.0.0   2 u  687 1024  377  501.142  -23.991 110.234
:
:>That's an interesting refid entry. I wonder if that's the reason you're
:>being excluded.
:
:"Real" NTP uses the refid to prevent circular references and enforce
:a tree hierarchy (stratum 1, stratum 2, stratum 3, etc.) on servers.
:
:OpenNTP, which is what that server seems to have on it, has no
:such features.  It's more like a mis-named SNTP server.  What's worse,
:it always claims to be at stratum 2 even if it's not locked to anything
:at all.
:
:Tim.

While regular OpenNTP is locked at stratum 2, I patched my copy so it
reports the actual stratum.  I just happen to be syncing against a stratum 1
server.  I'll see about fixing the refid.

--
Spouse, n.:
	Someone who'll stand by you through all the trouble you