[time] {0,1,2}.<zone>.pool.ntp.org; new monitoring system

Peter Hessler phessler
Tue Sep 7 22:49:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:34:21 +0200
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <clockmaster at fortytwo.ch> wrote:

:Monitoring system
:-----------------
:
:As announced (but, of course, a few days late), I finally retired the
:monitoring system as it is now and replaced it by a much simpler one.  Now,
: every server is just queried once per hour by a simple perl script (using
:Net::NTP), and scores are assigned according to the offset measured to my
:server:
: +1             if offset < 0.5s
: -2*$offset + 2 if 0.5s < offset < 1.5s
: -2             if offset > 1.5s
: -5             if server is unreachable (timeout 2s)
:As with the old system, the scores are multiplied by 0.95 every hour, too,
:so a opimally running server will still have a score of 20, and a server
:which is offline will go to -100.

I'm sure you thought about this, but is the absolute value of the offset
used in the calculation, or do you take the pure value?  (i.e. does an
offset of-1.6s get you +1?)

--
Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight
Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.