[time] {0,1,2}.<zone>.pool.ntp.org; new monitoring system

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder
Wed Sep 8 09:29:46 UTC 2004

(Pter: yes, obviously, I use abs(offset) - might have said that explicitely)

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 02.36, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> In any event the +/- 0.5sec tolerance is very very loose.
> I'd strongly recommend ntpdate -q as well for checking offsets etc.
> It makes burst like measurements to get around jitter effects.

[ and also wayne's concerns about there being only one server doing the
monitoring stuff ]

I think these issues are interconnected. I chose very lose constraints for
now exactly because I wasn't sure how servers in .nz or asia would be
affected (connections europe/america are usually good enough).  Also, there
may be a bit jitter, but the scoring system should, over several hours,
have the same effect as using several queries has (one missed or delayed
packet doesn't cause immediate action, after all.)

I will let the system run like it is now for a few days, and then look at
the offset values I'm getting and tighten the screw a bit.

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro