[time] security issues with open port 123/udp?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder
Thu Sep 30 23:25:12 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 21.36, Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> >  - I, and many other people, like to see what upstream time
> > servers a time
> > source has configured to judge reliability. I do not require this for
> > membership in the pool, but it also helps me debug problems when the
> > pool monitoring system marks a server unreachable but I can still reach
> > it.
>
> I understand your POV.  If you'd like me to remove my IP from the pool, I
> will.  Just let me know and I'll send you a personal e-mail with my IP
> address.

No, it can certainly stay in the pool. As I said, I don't require allowing
such request presently, and for those peopel who use the pool 'as intended'
- as a quick way to get reasonable time - it's fine.  Geeks who use the
pool as a list of timeservers to sync to and are interested in the
timeserver network will just have to live with the fact that some
timeservers don't answer anything but plain time requests.

regards
-- vbi

(Oh, and please don't cc: me on replies to the list)

--
The content of this message may or may not reflect the opinion of me, my
employer, my girlfriend, my cat or anybody else, regardless of the fact