[time] originator timestamp 1947?

J.A.C.M. Jos van de Ven jvdven
Tue Feb 6 22:48:16 UTC 2007

> On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:15 PM, J.A.C.M. (Jos) van de Ven wrote:
> > All those timestamps in the far past and future? Does this look right?
> > I didn't even show you all the packets, but it is just an example.
>
> If (for example) the battery on a motherboard fails, the BIOS clock
> will fail and get assigned some default time value upon a system
> reboot, which'll result in system times which are very far off until
> NTP corrects them.

Do you think there are so many empty batteries? I picked those packets in
the same second. I personally have never had a bad battery and I think that
problem only arises when the computer is completely shut off from power.
No, I think the problem is elsewhere. Maybe software that sends bogus
packets?

> > Other "problem":
> > Around 20.00h (19.00 UTC) I had a peak in load (1.10) and about 20
> > KB/s
> > traffic. A packet is 76 bytes, so about 270 requests/sec. Do others
> > see this
> > too?
>
> Yes, approximately-- when your server is listed in the global pool,
> there will be a significant spike of traffic.  My long-term average
> (data collected for longer than a year) is about 8 KB/s...load spikes
> of 2-3 times that appear to be normal....

Ok, but it is a signal I think. It will be higher and higher in the near
future. I saw someone saying early this year - I am doing this for a week
now, and was reading earlier posts - that it could be some ADSL routers
provided by Turkish ISP. If this is a big guy, then we can expect ????( I
don't dare to estimate) requests/sec when coming into the pool.

Jos