[time] originator timestamp 1947?

Chuck Swiger cswiger
Tue Feb 6 23:00:48 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:48 PM, J.A.C.M. (Jos) van de Ven wrote:
>> If (for example) the battery on a motherboard fails, the BIOS clock
>> will fail and get assigned some default time value upon a system
>> reboot, which'll result in system times which are very far off until
>> NTP corrects them.
>
> Do you think there are so many empty batteries? I picked those
> packets in
> the same second. I personally have never had a bad battery and I
> think that
> problem only arises when the computer is completely shut off from
> power.
> No, I think the problem is elsewhere. Maybe software that sends bogus
> packets?

There are plenty of reasons why something would send NTP traffic with
a very invalid timestamp; so I don't think failing batteries are the
only reason, but it is *a* reason.  :-)

If you're really curious, you could inspect the packet headers in
more detail, or use something like nmap's OS fingerprinting to try
and ID what the source of these packets is running.

>> Yes, approximately-- when your server is listed in the global pool,
>> there will be a significant spike of traffic.  My long-term average
>> (data collected for longer than a year) is about 8 KB/s...load spikes
>> of 2-3 times that appear to be normal....
>
> Ok, but it is a signal I think. It will be higher and higher in the
> near
> future. I saw someone saying early this year - I am doing this for
> a week
> now, and was reading earlier posts - that it could be some ADSL
> routers
> provided by Turkish ISP. If this is a big guy, then we can
> expect ????( I
> don't dare to estimate) requests/sec when coming into the pool.

It might be the case that you don't want to be in the global pool,
but only in the ones for your country and/or continent.

--
-Chuck