[time] Turkish ISP using the pool

Chuck Swiger cswiger
Wed Feb 21 01:03:46 UTC 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Rob Janssen wrote:
> J.A.C.M. (Jos) van de Ven wrote:
> Indeed it is Turk Telecom (TTnet), I forgot that in my previous reply.
> But they are not the only one.

Indeed not.  I'm also seeing a bunch of queries for Yahoo! UK and
elsewhere.

>> I think they are using European pool addresses, because as an
>> experiment I
>> put my server temporarily out of global pool, but still get their
>> queries.

> True, they use European pool.  The German provider does this too.
> I am only in the Dutch and European pools and I get these queries.
> But
> after initial alarm I am not too worried anymore.  Broken clients
> are much, much worse.

TTnet seems to be using the world-wide pool, as I am in it &
NorthAmerica but not in EU:

   http://ntp1.codefab.com/ntpstats/ntp_stats.txt

Estimated active ntp pool clients:     12274
Estimated abusive ntp pool clients:      248
Estimated inactive ntp pool clients:   18431
Total ntp pool clients being tracked:  30705

I wonder if we can persuade these major ISPs to use a more regional
NTP pool, rather than accessing servers halfway around the world...?

--
-Chuck