[time] What to do about abuse

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey
Tue Feb 27 01:53:48 UTC 2007

I fear that this is a FAQ, but I didn't find a FAQ which listed it.
If there is such a document, please point me to it and accept my
apologies for posting to this list.  I have read the Usenet
discussions that are pointed to from http://www.pool.ntp.org/, but
those seem to predate the pool.

I just recently joined the pool (ntp0.goldmark.org) and have just
started playing around with Wayne Schlitt's monitoring scripts.

Well, I'm absolutely flabbergasted by the abusive clients.  I'd like
some understanding of what's behind it and what people do about it.

It don't see anything to gain by being deliberately abuse.  You don't
gain anything by sending out a request 5 times per second.  As
annoying as it is, there is little chance of doing any noticeable
vandalism.  So my guess is that it is accidental.  But how could
someone accidentally configure a client to just keep making requests.

And what do people do about them.  I can manually block those clients
at my firewall.  I could report them to their ISPs and hosting
companies.  I could just ignore the problem.  I could lower my
claimed speed at the pool management site.

I'm curious to know what others do.