[time] What to do about abuse

Nelson Minar nelson
Tue Feb 27 15:24:04 UTC 2007

If you search the archives, you will find a post I made that
characterized the NTP traffic my pool server saw. I forget the exact
numbers but the result was something like the top 1000 clients accounted
for 99% of the traffic, something like that.

As to what to do about the abuse? Ignore it. There's really no way to
make them stop. And even at the worst my NTP traffic is 2kbytes/second
for the whole server. It's just not worth the effort to try to block them.

What causes it? Stupid failure handling in poorly written clients.