[time] GPS or CDMA Time servers

David J Taylor david-taylor
Wed Apr 2 05:55:14 UTC 2008

Brandon West wrote:
> I wanted to thank everyone who responded, I really appreciate the
> warmness and how welcome I feel being part of the pool. I think that
> Soekris box is a little more home brew than I'd really like to go. It
> looks like an excellent project. For now I have a Tyan 1U server with
> both serial ports and USB and I intend to employ that for the time
> being. I did find something really cool though, if I wanted to move to
> a low power dedicated box.
>
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/artigo/index.jsp
>
> AFAIK it lacks a serial port. I wonder if that would be detrimental to
> combining it with a GPS-18LVC?
>
> --Brandon

I would also like to move from my present PC to a dedicated box, compact,
low-power, no fan etc.  Serial port required.  However, the so-called
"Shuttle" PCs are expensive.  I wonder if one of the routers could be
used?  These are often quite low cost, and with all the hardware
ready-to-go.  I do see people offering completely fresh OSes for some of
the low-cost router boxes.  Has anyone experimented with using such a
modified router with e.g. a Garmin GPS 18 LVC?

Thanks,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  davidtaylor at writeme.com