[time] GPS Time Server Survey

Jan Hoevers ml.janhoevers
Thu Apr 24 19:37:11 UTC 2008

Kipton Moravec wrote on 24-4-2008 18:14:
> 1. A GPS module with the ability to expand the serial port to more than
> 10 to allow you to use the NTP NEMA driver. The time pulse would be
> accurate to about 30 nS RMS. Retail cost about $100.
Quite unlikely, since the GPS system itself does not have 30 ns
accuracy.  That kind of accuracy is meaningless for pool server
operators anyhow.  They typically do not own cesium clocks and the
regular pc oscillator is not stable enough to maintain that kind of
accuracy.

> 2. A time server with 2 Ethernet ports, with GPS time reference, to
> directly support between 50 and 100 users using GPS. Retail Cost about
> $200
Any pool server has far more users than 50 or 100.

Most pool server operators run ntpd on freebsd or linux.  Personally I
would not move away from that without a very, very good reason.  Some
pool operators have a Garmin GPS18LVC attached, costs around $80.

 From the little details you give about your plans, I would not think
this is interesting for pool operators.

regards,
Jan Hoevers