[time] GPS Time Server Survey

Kipton Moravec kip
Thu Apr 24 21:08:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:20 -0400, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> >> Any pool server has far more users than 50 or 100.
> >
> > I wasn't seeing this as being the pool server; I was seeing it as being
> > a stratum-1 host a pool server could sync to.
> >
> > If I were to get one that's certainly how I'd use it.
>
> And how would one keep non-pool user from overloading the device? For pool
> servers to know and use it, it would have to be published somewhere. It would go
> past 50-100 users very fast.

I guess it is not a good idea because almost no one understands it.

The idea for the one with Ethernet was not as a pool server, but to be
behind the firewall, for the enterprise (company) time servers and to
feed the enterprises pool server. The cheap little time server would not
be seen from the Internet.

If you have a pool server, then this could be one of the time sources
for your server. If you have an enterprise server this would serve time
to it. And the enterprise server would serve time to all the clients.
This little server would not be the pool time server. Use a regular PC
Server for that. Since it was local and on the same Ethernet then the
delay and jitter would be much lower. It would be the preferred server
your pool server and in-house servers would sync to.

I guess a cheap Stratum 1 Time server is of no interest. Everyone wants
what is on the >$1000 servers. If you folks do not understand, then I
will never be able to sell it to less educated folk. That is what I
needed to know.

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec KE5NGX
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."