[time] GPS Time Server Survey

David J Taylor david-taylor
Fri Apr 25 05:56:04 UTC 2008

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I am designing a system with a GPS module, and started looking at all
> of the things it could do, including time.
[]
> 1. A GPS module with the ability to expand the serial port to more
> than 10 to allow you to use the NTP NEMA driver. The time pulse would
> be accurate to about 30 nS RMS. Retail cost about $100.
>
> 2. A time server with 2 Ethernet ports, with GPS time reference, to
> directly support between 50 and 100 users using GPS. Retail Cost about
> $200

Speaking purely personally, I would like to see a box the size of a home
router (paperback book size), with a very sensitive GPS chipset (so I
could use it indoors) which provided stratum 1 time over Ethernet.  This
might even be an existing router with modified firmware and a sensitive
GPS RX.  Microsecond accuracy would be perfectly adequate, and it would
only need to serve a few users (although I can see other places where
thousands of users would be needed).  I would prefer a cost of $150.