[time] GPS Time Server Survey

David J Taylor david-taylor
Fri Apr 25 09:18:25 UTC 2008

Remco den Besten wrote:

>>> someone to make a small box ($10-$25) to interface a Garmin GPS18-
>>> LVC to
>>> their computer and a 12V (or USB) power supply.
>>

>> [ not sure if this was you or Kipton ]

[it was me, DJT]

>> I agree with this.  A small adapter that plugs into the GPS18-LVC in
>> one end and has USB (for power) and serial in the other end would be
>> great.  I'd be happy to help sell them, too.
>>

>>  - ask

> Because I am more into hardware than software I'll have a look ;-)
>
> The USB port delivers +5V, by the way.
>
> Remco.org

Yes, the 5V from the USB works perfectly.  I happened not to wish to rely
on USB on my own system, so I used a 3-terminal regulator and a 12V source
I happened to have to hand.

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm

I forgot, when mentioning the "router-based" NTP box, what I would like it
to be based on FreeBSD which has a better reputation and an NTP
timekeeper.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu