[time] GPS Time Server Survey

David J Taylor david-taylor
Sat Apr 26 17:00:26 UTC 2008

Chris Kuethe wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:28 AM, David J Taylor
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>  Hardly surprising, Andy, when it only offers SNTP (according to the
>>  page you gave)!  For that price, one would expect at least full
>>  NTP.  Which Garmin chipset?  I would want the SiRF III chipset for
>>  its high sensitivity.
>
> I'm no really keen on SS3 for timekeeping. I think SS3 and the garmin
> chips are both specified for 1usec. Shop around and you can find
> yourself a nice little antaris or antaris4 module that'll at least
> give you a few hundred ns at the same price point.
>
> CK

Thanks, Chris.  For my systems, one millisecond would probably be
acceptable, and one microsecond is probably at least one order of
magnitude better than I need.

However, the benefit of being able to use a unit in the roof-space or,
perhaps, near a window with a view of less than half the sky, would far
outweigh an accuracy reduction from hundreds of nanoseconds to a
microsecond.  There may be others with similar restrictions on outside
antenna mounting.

Nice looking units, though.

Cheers,
David