[Pool] flood from 75.76.155.206

AlbyVA albyva at empire.org
Thu May 9 14:58:05 UTC 2013

 I agree, DNS Reflective attacks can do harm, but my remarks were more
along the lines of
servers running Joomla or other web software which gets turned into bots
that start pounding
targets on a specific port(s).

 The financial sector is currently dealing with these types of attacks more
so than being a
victim of reflective attacks. Typically a 1,000 or so websites with code
that can be compromised
will be instructed to start a TCP SYN flood (one of many types of attack
vectors) assault on a
specific DNS name or IP address. So ISP's implementing BCP38 (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp38)
or DNS servers reconfiguring as Closed won't do much to save you. Since the
traffic will all be
coming from valid ip addresses.

It's not so much Port 123/UDP on our NTP server side we should worry about,
it's the whole server itself
and the bandwidth of our links. You figure that if (pool.ntp.org) came
under assault it looks like (4) servers
every 3 minutes would get pounded by junk traffic on any port/protocol the
attacker felt like targeting.
Or if they went after the ntpns.org DNS servers, all 3700+ pool servers
would be knocked offline until
something was done or the attack stopped. I doubt the Pool Project is up
for paying a company like
Prolexic to provide DDoS mitigation for the authoritative name servers.

 I suppose for now, we can pray nobody takes aim at our wonderful pool
project. :)

-Alby