[Pool] Pool, time, DNSSEC and startup catch-22

Marek Podmaka marki at marki-online.net
Wed May 29 09:08:17 UTC 2013

Hello,

Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 6:20:32, Phil Pennock wrote:

> Notably, this is in the class of devices which use ntpdate before using
> ntpd, so in fact it's simpler.  Using my previous suggestion, I just
> need to set ntpdate to use IP addresses and leave ntpd.conf using
> hostnames.

I think you can just alter ntp start script to:
1) Using dig, try to resolve ntppool hostname normally with DNSSEC
2) If that fails, repeat with DNSSEC disabled (dig has option for
that)
3) Run ntpdate with given IP address
4) Finally start ntpd

This would be even simpler that doing script for parsing hostname/IPs
and giving them to local hosts file or zone file.

--
  bYE, Marki