[Pool] ntp with monlist hidden in IPMI on server mainboard

Max Grobecker max+ntplist at grobecker.info
Sat Feb 1 14:30:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

You should generally not run IPMI cards (not only the Supermicro
modules) with a public accessible IP address.
My IPMI cards are running with private IPs and if I need to access these
cards, I need to open a VPN tunnel to my remote network.

There were several bugs on the cards - also one which allowed remote
attackers to tunnel IP traffic through the card. You should've seen the
surprised face of those people who were told that their IP has been
tracked seeding movies over Bittorrent ;-)
Compared to this, an open NTP service is not the real problem!

Greetings
 Max