[Pool] DDoS Type Attack

Nyamul Hassan nyamul at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 03:33:55 UTC 2014

Thank you all for your valuable comments / suggestions.

I also agree with the notion that stopping legitimate requests is
undesirable.  While we can always pull our servers off the "pool", but that
is also not something we want.

As suggested, we have gone through some previous emails on this list, and
implemented a rate-limiting in iptables through two different methods:

#Method 1
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 123 -m hashlimit --hashlimit-name ntp
--hashlimit-upto 15/min --hashlimit-burst 10 --hashlimit-mode srcip
--hashlimit-htable-expire 3600000 -j ACCEPT -m comment --comment "Check NTP"
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 123 -j DROP

#Method 2
-A INPUT -p udp --dport 123 -m recent --name ntp --rcheck --seconds 50
--hitcount 10 -j DROP
-A INPUT -p udp --dport 123 -m recent --name ntp --set

After enabling each of them, we tried "disabling" the rule we enforced
earlier (the one blocking remote clients which did not have a source port
of 123) for one of our "high target" servers.  As soon as we lifted that
rule, that server spiked outbound UDP traffic around 8-12 Mbps level
throughout the 1-2 hours we kept the test running.

Can someone suggest where the rules are failing to stop outbound traffic
over extended periods?

Regards
HASSAN