[Pool] DDoS Type Attack

Michael Rathbun time at rabendary.net
Mon Feb 17 21:04:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 21:13:51 +0600, Nyamul Hassan <nyamul at gmail.com> wrote:

>Your explanation seems to indicate that the list configuration is
>incorrect.  This is the NTP Pool list.  So, any replies sent on this list
>should automatically be sent to the list, not to the sender.

"Correct" or "Incorrect" is a matter of list administrator's personal
opinion.  I am subscribed to a large number of lists.  Some of them have
"reply-to" set to the list, and others have it set to the originator.  This
list has no reply-to header, and therefore most email clients will default
a "reply" to the author of the message being replied to.

>We can certainly edit the "to" and "cc" when we reply, but doing that for
>every email (or even keep track of which list I am replying to) is a bit of
>an unnecessary task, especially when this should be fixed at the
>configuration of the list.  Perhaps the list admins can help?

Certainly this is an opinion shared by many.  Lots of mailing list
participants opt to avoid the whole issue by always doing a "Reply-to-all"
operation.  I usually manage to figure out which is in force and which I
wish to comply with.

mdr
--
         "There are no laws here, only agreements."
                -- Masahiko