[Pool] Score is drop in cycles

Arnold Schekkerman ntp-list at mallos.nl
Fri Feb 21 12:02:56 UTC 2014

Hi Timothy,

On 02/20/2014 09:21 PM, Timothy Oefelein wrote:
> Maybe I've missed something in this thread, but if they're trying to add a server
> to the pool shouldn't they be obtaining time from outside the pool?

It was not in this threat, but has been mentioned on this list somewhere in the
(far) past. You must not configure the pool DNS service to obtain your peers
dynamically at each server restart, but is fine to configure static IP's from the
pool as your peer. It is also on the website 'how do I join pool.ntp.org':

""The servers joining should not have pool.ntp.org as their upstream server(s), but
should configure some good servers manually (those servers may be chosen from the
pool. The point is that they are chosen statically instead of assigned randomly at
each server restart. This will help providing an acceptable quality of service.)
Note that it is not required that your server is a stratum 1 or 2 server - as this
project is about load distribution mostly, there is no reason why a stratum 3 or
even stratum 4 server shouldn't join.""

> I picked my parent servers off the lists from the ntp.org website, at

They may be in the pool as well.

> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome  It took a few days of
> experimentation to find the most reliable ones with low round-trip times, a process

Basically the procedure I described, although you used a different source to obtain
peer NTP-servers, which is fine. Actually, I use one or two servers that never were
in the pool as well. Furthermore, I pick stratum 2 servers from the pool that use a
different stratum 1 server, so I have time from multiple sources.

> One of the these days I'd like to get the hardware to run my own Stratum 1 server,
> which would make the whole finding peers process moot. :)

And it would be a shame if you didn't share your fine time with other pool
operators to distribute it to an even larger public ;-)

Arnold