[Pool] defending against DDoS attacks

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sat Feb 22 13:40:35 UTC 2014

>> These problems tend to go away when you disable monlist [...]
> Are other commands not also amplifiers (to a somewhat lesser degree):

Yes.

That's one reason it annoys me to see people claiming that disabling
monlist fixes the problem: at most, it refuses to tolerate the
(currently) most popular exploitation of the problem.  It doesn't
actually _fix_ anything.

(Well, except to the extent that treating the symptom constitutes
fixing, which admittedly can be a significant extent, especially to the
poor sod on the wrong end of an amplified attack.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org