[Pool] Large increase in pool clients

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 15 00:04:47 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

We've just been discussing in Freenode IRC #ntp a large increase in the
number of pool clients that just popped up.

My IPv6-only server set on low bandwidth in Australia was not impacted
[1], but my IPv4-only servers set on 100 Mbps in UK/EU/global have seen
a large increase in traffic [2], and about doubled in the number of
unique clients per day over the last few hours. [3]

No individual clients appear to be particularly problematic.  (Or at
least, not any more than usual.)

Anyone know what might have caused this?  Did we have some significant
servers drop out of the pool, or has some OS update added a bunch of
clients that weren't using the pool previously?

Regards,
Paul

1. https://libertysys.com.au/imagebin/t9U6P7vw.png
2. https://libertysys.com.au/imagebin/jcxsy0Ub.png