[Pool] Why is my server score suddenly so poor?

Ron Hahn ron.hahn at dhco.org
Mon Feb 20 19:03:00 UTC 2017

Colleagues,

Looking for some help here as I have spent a lot of time looking at this
without any improvements. :-(

Since early Friday, 17th the pool monitoring server was reporting that my
pool server:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/89.101.218.6

in increasingly negative scores - anywhere between -20 and -60 range.  All
over up and down. :-(

So thinking that something has gone horrible wrong on my side I check:

- fibre interface (and reboot)
- switch (also reboot, no changes in some months)
- firewall config (logs and rules)
- LeoNTP appliance (reboot and also firmware upgrade as well)
- swap of stratum 1 source
- WAN utilisation (20-30%)

I am finding nothing to explain why such low scores all of a sudden.

I compared the LeoNTP box to my other stratum 1 sources and they are within
<1ms of each other - so I think time is good and not false ticking.

I also wrote a script on my Raleigh (US) server to run ntpdate against this
every 5 minutes overnight.  Only 4 timeouts in the entire night and some
time this morning.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what to check next as this causing me a
big head ache now.

Thank you for the help,

Ron