[Pool] broken auto-responders and how to fix them
phessler at theapt.org
Wed Nov 22 14:34:39 UTC 2017
Hi, there are some broken auto-responders from jasmin.com and
livejasmin.com on this list. 4.3BSD (release in June 1986) includes the
vacation(1) program, which nicely defines how to do autoresponders.
Lets quote from the man page:
Messages will not be replied to if any of the following conditions are
- Message are not "To:" or "Cc:" a valid login (or alias supplied
using the -a option).
- Messages are from """???-REQUEST", "Postmaster", "UUCP",
"MAILER", or "MAILER-DAEMON" (where these strings are case
- A "Precedence: bulk", "Precedence: list", or "Precedence: junk"
line is included in the mail headers.
- An Auto-Submitted" line is included in the mail headers with a
value of anything but no.
- A "List-Id" line (with any value) is included in the mail
If you look at the headers of any mail from this list, you'll see #1,
#3, and #5 all apply to these mails.
Please forward this email to the people responsible for your ticket
system, and make them fix the broken responses.
Everyone will be much happier, thank you.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's
supposed to do.
-- R. A. Heinlein
More information about the pool