[Pool] SNTP Client Code

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 22 23:45:46 UTC 2017

On 22/11/17 21:25, Hal Murray wrote:

> satyaprakash.prasad at gmail.com said:
>> For a project work in an ARM embedded device we need to write code that will
>> sync time of device within that of the network. We plan to make use of SNTP
>> for same. Hence we need a very light SNTP client code?
>
>> Is there a Free Licence SNTP client reliable / tested code there that can be
>> made use of?
>
> I don't know of any code like that.
>
> It isn't hard to write.  It is very easy to get it wrong is subtle ways that
> won't show up in a testing lab unless you know what to look for.
>
> Wikipedia has a good page:
>   NTP server misuse and abuse
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse
> I'd call Dave Plonka's writeup of the Netgear/UWisc mess required reading for
> any networking class.

+1 to that; even years later it's still a great read.

Also instructive is the Great Snapchat Surge of December 2016 - see
further down that same Wikipedia page, and
https://community.ntppool.org/t/recent-ntp-pool-traffic-increase/18

Worth a glance at the BCP draft as well:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-bcp-05

Paul