[ntp:questions] Re: improving WWVB reception

Charles Schuler charlesschuler at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 14:40:04 UTC 2003

> Well, it would be if it worked.  The clock synchronizes with WWVB
> every night, and I had it working on my engineering bench.  But with
> it mounted on my air studio wall, it won't sync.  I've tried three
> different positions -- mounted flat on west, north and east walls.  In
> each position, I left it there for about a week to see if it would
> sync.
>
> I'm in Atlanta, so WWVB is generally west from me.  I don't know how
> the internal antenna element is oriented, but I assume it's parallel
> to the big flat dimension of the clock, so either east or west should
> have worked best.  Obviously the building is attenuating the signal,
> but I really want it to work in that room, so I've got to find a way
> to improve the signal reception without moving the clock much from
> where it's at.

There are some hints at the NIST website.  I live in Florida and the
nighttime signal is much better than the daytime signal.  This is also true
for Atlanta, but not as much variation as at my location.  One thing that
helps (sometimes) is to move the clock away from TV receivers and monitors.
A 60 kHz antenna is a large beast, so there is nothing simple that you can
do in that department.