[ntp:questions] Re: Quickstart

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 19:15:05 UTC 2003

> I am attempting to alleviate this by writing a "quickstart" document
> that should suffice for almost all ordinary users.  I've appended the
> first draft and was wondering what people thought of it.  Also, if
> anyone has good pointers to solutions to common problems, and
> especially considerations when using NTP over dial-up links, can they
> forward them to me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale

Dale,

I wish I had this document when I was starting.  I feel there is much
about NTP that is unnecessarily steeped in UNIX guru mystique, and which
detracts from its wider adoption.  Your document goes some way towards
demystifying this.

Coild I suggest two changes - to make the document less UNIX specific
(e.g. path for conf files, command format) and include the Windows
equivalent commands, and to include a "simple" setup for client systems
without all the authorisation and restriction stuff, which I feel is only
needed at the server or admin level.

But having you document in itself should be a big help, many thanks for
your efforts!

Cheers,
David