[ntp:questions] Re: Trimble Setup Question

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Sat Aug 30 21:10:07 UTC 2003

In article <mailman.25.1062274538.1841.questions at ntp.org>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

>	I don't think any of us have tried to appoint ourselves as the
>boss.  We have tried to do the best jobs we can to support NTP, the
>ntp.org site, and the community as a whole.  Throughout our work, we
>have been applying best industry practices to the best of our ability.

That's not how it looks lately from out here in comp.protocols.time.ntp..

>	It is my feeling that your comparison of the situation to
>Stalinist Russia is done out of ignorance, and is inappropriate.  If
>you wish to become a contributor and get your name listed at
><http://www.ntp.org/contributors.html>, that is a different matter.
>
>	However, I would encourage you to avoid making a fool out of
>yourself through ignorance.

That's good advice.
For example, http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=commissar might
have suggested that my use of "commissar" was not a reference to
Stalinist Russia but to "one that attempts to control public opinion
or its expression" abeit with Leninist connotations.

Your screed like your other recent messages seen in this newsgroup
does suggest "a party official assigned to teach party principles
and policies and to ensure party loyalty," along with connatations
of self-aggrandizement.

By the way, why did also you send me a private copy by email and
with a 13 second retry interval to get through my new greylisting
filter?  13 seconds is far less than the minimum 30 minutes required
by RFC 2821.  I've long felt that "courtesty copies" of public
messages suggest an exaggerated view of the imporance of one's words,
but 13 seconds between retries is extreme.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com