[ntp:questions] Re: MAXDISPERSE is too high! was Re: is there a way to "lock" the drift frequency

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Dec 8 08:59:43 UTC 2003

>You're kidding of course, but if we were really trying to synch up a client
>in "deep space", different rules apply: much of the round-trip delay would
>be fixed, and easily calclulated, and we could subtract it before feeding
>the samples to the filter.

Isn't that delay symmetric?  Won't NTP do the right thing?

I'd be more interested in relativity.  If I have 2 good atomic clocks,
one on Earth and the other on the moon or Mars, will they get the same
answer?  If they are in sync at one point, will they stay in sync?

Isn't relativity a significant correction term for GPS?