[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTPDC - keyid required

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Dec 10 00:30:06 UTC 2003

Dale Worley <worley at dragon.ariadne.com> wrote in message news:<87he0apw27.fsf at netnews.comcast.net>...

> In a perfect world, the ntpd configurator child would run occasionally
> (every 24 hours?) to re-resolve the names of the servers/peers.  This
> would get rid of the problems when one's IP address changes, as well
> as when the IP address of the server changes.
>
> Dale

I think you mean the local addresses. If the remote server/peer address
changes then you have to start again anyway for that server. In addition
if you are using the ntp pool (pool.ntp.org) you are almost guaranteed
to get a different IP address for the same name even though the servers
all have static addresses. Be careful what you wish for.

What is needed is a rescan whenever your local IP address changes due
to DHCP forcing the change. There is a design for that but I've not
started the work to implement it.

Danny