[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTPDC - keyid required

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Wed Dec 10 14:26:26 UTC 2003

mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) writes:
> I think you mean the local addresses. If the remote server/peer address
> changes then you have to start again anyway for that server.

Yes, that is the intention.  It is another thing that needs to be done
periodically, since there is no guarantee that the IP address for a
server's name is going to be constant over time.

> if you are using the ntp pool (pool.ntp.org) you are almost guaranteed
> to get a different IP address for the same name even though the servers
> all have static addresses. Be careful what you wish for.

That's true, but I don't see it as a problem if one chooses different
pool servers occasionally.  (And in a perfect world, you'd get the
"closest" members of the pool, which wouldn't change as quickly.)

Dale