[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTPDC - keyid required

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 21:25:01 UTC 2003

In article <3a2a0492.0312091625.4254a900 at posting.google.com>,
mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> What is needed is a rescan whenever your local IP address changes due
> to DHCP forcing the change. There is a design for that but I've not
> started the work to implement it.

What is needed is a service provider that implements DHCP properly.  DHCP
addresses should never be re-allocated whilst a connection is live and
should only be re-allocated if the machine is offline and not responding
to lease renewals and the address is actually needed to service another
connection.  (A good DHCP implementation should probably use something
like a least recently used strategy for reallocating.)

To the extent that ADSL approximates always on for the average user, an
ISP should have an address pool that doesn't need to be churned.

It has been suggested that some ISPs deliberately break DHCP to discourage
people from running servers on home user accounts.