[ntp:questions] Re: How to configure CE.Net's SNTP Client?

5thWheel nospam at nospam.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 22:01:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:09:29 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

<snipsnipsnip>
> Many people have replaced the Microsoft SNTP implementation
> with a port of the "official" software, and were you able to do that for
> CE.Net, you might be doing everyone a good turn!!

Well now.
I did have a stab at getting the NT port to run on CE.Net but I was kindof
daunted by how huge the NTP sourcecode is (also ce.net seems to be
missing a bunch of basic time types and functions:/). Also I don't have
time to wade through the encyclopedic online documentation without some
direction.
OTOH if someone wants to give me some pointers as to what
subset I need to port in order to make a client I will have another look
at it. (Or even which .c file or function to start with) (Is there an EXE
that is just a client? I thought ntpdate was it, but that has been retired
apparently and sucked back into the main ntpd? And anyway is dependant on
the enormous libntp? All I want is to keep my ce.net system clock accurate
by synching it over our LAN).

PS I've found *an* implementation (I love codeproject:) for ce at
http://www.naughter.com/sntp.html
no idea if it is any good but it seems to work.  Also I've found the site
very good for other stuff.

I've also managed to get my hardware to myself for a while and run the
ce.net kernel in debug mode awhile to look at the error messages, looks
like I need to add IPv6 support and maybe disable multicast in the
registry. (sorry again if this is OT, I added it for all the poor souls
who are searching google groups for CE SNTP info).