[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Nov 5 05:55:06 UTC 2003

On 2003-11-04, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

<snip: colour discussion>

>> > - I checked out the NTP support section. Instead of "how to get",
>> > "how to install" and "how to configure" being near the start of the
>> > section, I was put off by having "Authentication keys", "Reference
>> > clocks" and "How to compile". To me, this is the wrong emphasis.
>
> []
>
> I refer to:
>
>   http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/NTPFourWindowsNTHints

This topic contains hints for users of "NTP 4.x for Windows NT"

> To gain greater acceptance by the Windows community, I feel the
> sections should be re-ordered,

The body of this topic is actually Dr. Mills' winnt.html document. This
fact is clearly posted at the begining of the topic: "The document
included in this topic is not cached, it is included from its original
location (http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/hints/winnt.html)
each time this topic is loaded/refreshed."

As such I am not able to modify that document in any way.

> indeed, from queries on this newsgroup it seems to me that even in the
> Linux/Unix community there is an increasing desire for an install and
> go solution rather than "I want to compile it for myself".

The NTP project only produces source code releases of NTP. These
releases may be installed using the standard Unix "make" command.

There are links to third party pre-compiled versions of NTP for Windows
NT at http://www.ntp.org/links.html. Binary packages of NTP are
available through various operating system vendors and "distributions".

<snip>

>> > - The NTP for Windows support section is mis-spelt
>>
>> No. It's not.
>>
>> The title of the material in that topic is "NTP 4.x for Windows
>> NT" which, for me, translates to a topic name (it's a WikiWord) of
>> NTPFourWindowsNTHints
>>
>> That's "NTP Four (for) Windows NT Hints"
>
> To me it rates with duudz and such similar spellings.

Obviously my explanation was not clear. The 'Four' in the topic name is
not a deliberate misspelling of 'for', it refers to the NTP version
number discussed in the included document ("NTP 4.x for Windows NT").

Topic names must be WikiWords so they can't contain embedded spaces. And
punctuation in WikiWords is discouraged. So, "NTP 4.x for Windows NT"
could translate to NTP4xforWindowsNT or NTPFourXforWindowsNT or
NTPFourForWindowsNT or NTPFourWindowsNTHints or PossiblySomethingElse..

> In any case, referring to Windows NT rather than Windows ties you down
> to a soon-to-be-unsupported version of the OS.

The included document that _is_ the content of this topic specifically
addresses NTP 4.x for Windows NT.

You're welcome to contribute to a topic for NTP on the Windows
version-du-jour. I can't because I don't use Windows.

> I prefer English to wiki words.

WikiWords are an essential feature of Wikis (including TWiki).

from http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/TWiki/WikiWord ...

A WikiWord consists of two or more words with initial capitals, run
together.

When you type a WikiWord, you establish a hyperlink. It's as easy as
that.

WikiWords are styled like this because:

    * It makes Wiki hyperlinks instantly recognizable
    * It leads to interesting Wiki topics
    * It avoids the need to fiddle with HTML tags
    * It avoids over-general topics because at least two words are required

Syntax of a WikiWord

    * Uppercase letter(s)
    * Lowercase letter(s)
    * Uppercase letter(s)
    * Optional lowercase or uppercase letter(s) or number(s)

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>
The Official NTP Documentation and FAQ are linked from