[ntp:questions] Re: Taming the pinball machine

Barry Bouwsma ntp-200203 at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Sun Nov 9 13:29:28 UTC 2003

Dave scribed:

> Can you clarify the login problem? Login as anonymous works from here
> (campus). A quicker way is with a browser to
> ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/software/.

I thought I'd pop up, since I see the same problem, to clarify.
(This munged-looking address really works fine, over IPv6, if you
wanted to ignore this, you'll need a different easy-to-find excuse)

Here's what I see.  I'm not sure what might be causing the problem.
It seems the connection is closed behind the scenes, even before I'm
given the login.

[13:44:01]beer at NOSPAM.spam.NOSPAM.spam.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk:~{754}$ ftp ftp.udel.edu.
Connected to huey.udel.edu.

Name (ftp.udel.edu.:beer): ftp
does-d9b91906.pool.mediaWays.net, access denied into UDEL EECIS, contact staff at eecis.udel.edu for reason
ftp: Login failed.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

The thing of note is that over this overloaded dial-in, it takes some time
for the connection to be established (Connected to...) and then again for
the login (Name...) to appear.

However, immediately after the username, I see the `access denied' message
with absolutely no delay, which tells me udel doesn't even get my username.

I had problems a while back with this machine; apparently then if I was
not running identd, I was denied access, so I kind of gave up on trying
to download stuff.  This time I see no identd queries being made to my
machine; what I do see is that somewhere in the process I get an attempt
to connect from port 21 (no doubt from huey) to a port on my machine
that has no listener, which is not normal.

FreeBSD OS on this end if it makes a difference, delay of five to ten
seconds each time, if that makes a difference.  I haven't looked at the
over-the-wire handshaking to see what's wrong, I'll leave that to someone
nearby.

Maybe that's enough info to ring a few bells or something.

thanks
Barry Bouwsma