[ntp:questions] Re: Latest changes to TWiki GettingStarted

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sun Oct 5 06:09:04 UTC 2003

>Perhaps we can auto-generate the texst files, but I will not tolerate using
>a browser when it comes to getting info about how to build/install software.

There are two parts to build/install-ing NTP.  One is getting it to compile
and installing the resulting files in the right place.  The other is getting
the config file setup right.

Traditional README/INSTALL type files seem fine for the first part.

I'm not sure it makes sense to try to cram setting up the config
file into the same mechanism.  I'd be happy if INSTALL had a pointer
to the rest of the documentation.  It would also be nice if there
were man pages, even if all they did was point to the html files
where the real info lives.  (I've learned not to bother asking
for ntp related man pages by now, but I still remember my initial
frustrations.)