[ntp:questions] Re: [TWiki] Document Format Poll

Brad Knowles knowles at ntp.org
Fri Oct 10 23:35:55 UTC 2003

At 2:20 PM -0700 2003/10/10, David Schwartz wrote:

>      I really doubt that. Unless you demand DNA samples or a FAX of a
>  driver's license, there's no way you can stop a person from voting more than
>  once.

	No, but we can make it more difficult for people to abuse.

>      Then nobody has any justification for complaining ever. You can equally
>  well argue that a person who got his vote just like everyone else has no
>  write to complain if he loses.

	If you actively choose to give up your vote, then you have no
right to complain about the outcome.

>      And you have no right to complain if you do either, you got your vote
>  just like everyone else. If the voting process produces a bad result, the
>  choice to employ a voting process will have been shown to have been a bad
>  choice. You can't blame a lack of voting for this bad result -- you can't
>  vote on whether voting is the way to resolve a problem.

	The poll process is to collect user input as to what they would
like to see.  Nothing more.

>      Someone or some process chose to do this by a vote. If the vote produces
>  a bad result, then the choice to employ a vote process can be criticized by
>  anyone who didn't support the decision to put this to a vote.

	There is no guarantee of enforcement over the results of the
poll.  This is just a process to gather input from the users.

	If you'd like a guarantee of enforcement over the results of a
poll, you'll have to go somewhere else -- I'd recommend you try
Florida or California first.

--
Brad Knowles <knowles at ntp.org>       <http://www.ntp.org/contributors.html>
                     Postmaster, Listmaster, & PGP Keymaster