[ntp:questions] Re: [TWiki] Document Format Poll

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Fri Oct 10 23:51:22 UTC 2003

> 	If you actively choose to give up your vote, then you have no
> right to complain about the outcome.

	And if you do vote, do you have a right to complain about the outcome? Even
though you got your vote just like everyone else and lost fair and square?

	The argument goes like this: If what you voted for had won, you'd expect me
to accept it without complaining. You lost fair and square and it's only
fair that you accept that. You had your chance to convince others before the
vote.

	Sorry, the two arguments are equally convincing. If you accept one, you
have to accept the other. Voting is a way to take away people's rights to
complain, it always has been and always will be.

	Ironically, the exception is a poll used just to determine prevailing
viewpoint or to aid in the allocation of private resources. For example, if
Burger King polls to see how much salt people like on their fries. This is
probably just such a poll, however, it is then inappropriate to say, "If you
actively choose to give up your vote, then you have no right to complain
about the outcome."

>	If you'd like a guarantee of enforcement over the results of a
>poll, you'll have to go somewhere else -- I'd recommend you try
>Florida or California first.

	I'm already in California. My governor can kick your governor's ass --
assuming he hasn't already patted it. I apologize for my part in making this
a bigger deal than it ever should have been.

	DS