[ntp:questions] Re: DHCP and NTP configuration

Allen McIntosh mcintosh at nospam.com
Tue Oct 28 13:42:55 UTC 2003

In article <3a2a0492.0310280515.1821669a at posting.google.com>,
Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> wrote:
>I don't understand the question. DHCP doesn't distribute anything to NTP.
>NTP gets its address information from DNS using the resolver running
>on the server. DHCP MAY send dynamic DNS updates to the DNS responsible
>for the domain but that's a DHCP configuration question and you should
>be asking in the DHCP newsgroup.

The issue here is that DHCPD (the one that comes with the Linux
distributions I use and the one our computer center uses) has a
'time-servers' option that lets you list the addresses of
'RFC 868 time servers'.  I think the OP was looking for DHCP
clients that use this information.

As I indicated in another post, the matching version of DHCPCD
uses this information to build an ntp.conf file.

--
My real email address is
mcintosh ##at## research ##dot## telcordia ##dot## com