[ntp:questions] Re: NTP LAN config

Mon Sep 1 12:50:06 UTC 2003

danibrevi at libero.it (Daniele Brevi) writes:

> hi at all,
>
> I'm tryng to configure in my network a PC with red hat 7.3 as time server
> and 2 PC with red hat 9 as client NTP. I want synchronize the time of two PC
> with a precision less than 1ms.
> My config file are
>
> CLIENT RED HAT 9 IP 192.168.0.1
> FILE: /etc/ntp.conf
>
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> server 192.168.0.2
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
> broadcastdelay  0.008
> SERVER RED HAT 7.3 IP 192.168.0.2
>
> server  127.0.0.1 prefer
> peer 192.168.0.1
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
> broadcastdelay  0.008
> I start ntpd in server
>
> When I start ntpd -g in client nothing happen

If "nothing" happens, nothing can go wrong; right? Maybe you could be
more specific...

Regards,
Ulrich
P.S. From the FAQ:
8.4.2. What should I report?

Simply report what you have (hardware, operating system (name, vendor, version,
patch revision), NTP software release, anything unusual), what you did
(compilation protocols, configuration files, etc), what you got (syslog
messages, error messages, unusual output, monitoring data), and what you
expected (be as precise as possible).

For the first contact try to include the most essential data. Personally I
think it's better to leave out any lengthy data you don't understand, than to
include it. Most likely someone will ask for such data. So possibly save most
data for later reference, but don't include it all in the first contact.