[ntp:questions] Re: where should we update sys_rootdispersion?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Sep 6 19:39:13 UTC 2003

-dongling,

Over the ten years since rfc-1305 some implementation details have
evolved, so don't treat the procedure functional description as
concrete. However, and as I restated in a recent message on this list,
the dispersion increases at constant rate, but is reset when a clock
update is received. Details are in the architecture briefing on the NTP
project page linked from www.ntp.org.

The usual cause of elevated dispersion is either dropped packets or no
updates received for a very long time.

Dave